B.A. C.L.A.S.S. Test Time!
WPHS will be hosting the B.A. level Canine Life And Social Skills evaluation for the class students next week and there are a few extra spots available
WHEN: Tuesday 6/25 and Wednesday 6/26 various time slots between 6:40 and 8:40pm (only some slots still available)
WHERE: WPHS Room B (6/25) WPHS room A (6/26)
WHO: Dogs and their handlers who would like to try the B.A. level Canine Life And Social Skills Test.
HOW MUCH: $20 payment to WPHS for the test. $5 to register your dog for C.L.A.S.S. through APDT (this part is done through www.mydoghasclass.com )
You do not need to have taken a C.L.A.S.S. class to take the evaluation. So all dogs and handlers are welcome to sign up for a time-slot for the test. The B.A. level tests 9 different skills plus a warm-up time and two optional bonus tricks.
1. Wait at the Door–Dog waits while a door is opened until released
2. Recall and Leashing Up–Dog comes when called and easily gets leashed up
3. Loose Leash Walking–Dog walk next to the handler with a loose leash
4. Meet and Greet–Dog greets appropriately after being told to (or not told to)
5. Leave It–Dog can walk past enticing items on the floor
6. Wait for the Food Bowl–Dog has patience and impulse control with his food bowl
7. Stay–Dog stays in one position for 1 minute while the handler has a conversation
8. Settle–Dog lays down and relaxes for 1 minute while the handler relaxes
9. Give and Take–Dog will give up an item and take a treat/toy as reward
All of the skills are pretty straight forward but I encourage you to download and read the student handbook for more detailed information about the individual skills and the requirements
HOW TO REGISTER FOR THE TEST
1. Click Here For WPHS registration page
2. Where it says “Register For:” Select “Events” (it will default to CLASSES)
3. “SIGN UP” for the “Bachelor’s C.L.A.S.S.” test that fits in your schedule
4. Select the time slot that best fits your schedule
5. Follow the remaning process of signing in or registerring your dog(s).
BEFORE THE TEST
1. Register for a FREE Student ID on www.mydoghasclass.com
2. Register your dog(s) for their Dog ID ($5/dog)
3. Read over the Student Handbook to familiarize yourself with all the exercises
4. Have your Veterinarian fill out the REQUIRED form (available from the CLASS website)
5. Take the ONLINE Knowledge Test (for the human counterpart)–this can be done after the actual evaluation but your pup won’t officially earn their BA until this is completed
6. Read over the Student Handbook to know which type of equipment is acceptable and what to bring the day of your test.
DAY OF THE TEST
1. Bring your Student ID and your Dog ID
2. Bring your Veterinarian form
3. Bring your dog wearing appropriate equipment with 6ft leash
4. Bring yummy treats (in a pocket), kibble for the food bowl, a chew item (bullystick, rawhide, kong, etc) or toy for the give/take
5. Have a positive attitude–“Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.”
6. Come 10 min before your test time so you can have some down time before the test to fill out some paperwork.